Monday, February 1, 2010

dialogue, even better, colloquy

How to characterize the type of discussion between members of the same family? I know that there is much competition and controversy going on… And I am aware that some people of good will are very much worried about it; they sure are trying to do something about it… In their list of possible solutions for the problems, such people put “dialogue” at the very top… I appreciate their insights and would even like to join in their efforts to persistently call for a break with monologue, a monologue, that is, where everyone wants to speak and to listen to him/herself.

Yet, a fine nuance here: I believe the nature of conversation should not be perceived as an encounter, a confrontation, a face-off (ግጥሚያ፣ ፍልሚያ፣ ፍጥጫ)… After all, we are members of the same family. (Aren’t we? ረ በቤተክርስቲያን አምላክ! ረ በኢትዮጵያ አምላክ! ረ በወላዲተ-አምላክ!) We walk under the same sun, within the same horizon. Or so do I believe… Hence my preference to speak of "colloquy" (የእስ-በስ ውይይት) over "dialogue" (የእስ-ከሌላ ውይይት)…

With this, however, I am not undermining the difference of opinions… I am only insisting that we might discuss our differences in a less confrontational manner...

Above all, every one of us must in fact be reminded as to the nature and position of the sun under whose light we are walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment